Music Program Honoring West Texas A&M University | KAMR
CANYON, Texas — West Texas A&M University has announced that it will celebrate its band program with an all-decade band reunion.
WT said that for the first time, WT band members from the 1960s will reunite for an event taking place June 10-11 at various locations in Amarillo and the WT campus in Canyon.
WT said its highlight on campus will be an alumni concert at 2 p.m. on June 11 at the Mary Moody Northen Recital Hall, featuring the first performance of “Endurance,” composed by WT Composition Professor Dr. BJ Brooks. and director of The Sound of West Texas Buffalo Fanfare. The concert is free and open to the public.
The reunion weekend will also honor WT’s longest-serving marching band director, Professor Emeritus Dr. Gary Garner. Garner will be honored at a 7 p.m. dinner on June 11 at the Grand Plaza in the Amarillo Civic Center complex.
“Dr. Garner was the best in the country at what he did,” said Don Lefevre, associate professor of music and former director of the WT Marching Band. “He had no equal.”
The list of events includes:
- 4 to 6 p.m. June 10: Welcome Reception at Four Points by Sheraton Amarillo Central, 1911 E. Interstate 40;
- 6:30 p.m. June 10: Dinner for 1960s Alumni at Braceros, 727 S. Polk St.;
- 7 p.m. on June 10: Dinner for 1970s Alumni at Napoli’s, 700 S. Taylor St.; and dinner for 1980s oldies at Hoffbrau Steak and Grill House, 7203 W. I-40;
- 7:30 p.m. June 10: Dinner for 1990s Alumni at Tacos Garcia, 1100 S. Ross St.; and dinner for 2000s and 2010s alumni at Six Car Pub & Brewery, 625 S. Polk St.;
- 8:30 a.m. June 11: Tours of the WT campus
- 10 a.m. June 11: Rehearsal of the alumni orchestra at the Northen Recital Hall
- 2 p.m. June 11: Concert by a group of former students at the Northen Recital Hall
- 7 p.m. on June 11: Tribute dinner to Gary Garner
West Texas A&M University said fostering an appreciation for the arts is a key part of the university’s long-range plan, WT 125: From the Panhandle to the World. This plan is powered by One West’s historic $125 million global fundraising campaign. To date, the five-year campaign — which launched publicly on September 23 — has raised around $110 million.